These basic terms and conditions have been drawn up to give you an idea of what is involved and how we can work together effectively. If there is anything you would like to clarify, or you have a project that may require a different arrangement, please do drop me an email to discuss your requirements.
Terms & conditions
1. These terms & conditions apply to any work done for the Client by me, Juliette Jones.
2. I will provide service(s) as mutually agreed, confirmed in writing by the Client.
3. The work will be carried out unsupervised at such times and places as determined by myself, using my own equipment.
4. I confirm that I am self-employed, am responsible for my own income tax and National Insurance contributions.
5. I agree to attend the Client’s or other premises for necessary meetings, the time spent and agreed reasonable expenses incurred to be reimbursed by the Client.
6. The Client will reimburse me for agreed reasonable expenses over and above usual expenses incurred in the process of editorial work.
7. The Client will pay me a fee per word count OR per hour OR an agreed flat fee for the job, as agreed at our initial consultation. Per word count fees will be rounded up to the nearest 1000 words.
8. The completed work will be delivered on or before the date agreed, for the agreed fee, which will be based on the description of the work required and the brief, both supplied by the Client.
9. If, however, on receipt of the item to be worked on or at an early stage, it becomes apparent that significantly more work is required than had been anticipated in the preliminary discussion/brief, I may renegotiate the fee and/or the deadline.
10. Similarly, if, during the term of my work, additional tasks are requested by the Client, I may renegotiate the fee and/or the deadline.
11. If the project is lengthy, I may invoice periodically for completed stages.
12. Any content created by me as part of the copy-editing/proofreading/project management process will become the copyright of the Client, unless otherwise agreed.
13. The nature and content of the work will be kept confidential and not made known to anyone other than the Client and its contractors without prior written permission.
14. I guarantee that any work that I subcontract on behalf of the Client will be completed to the same standard, schedule and budget and with the same conditions of confidentiality. This will also be pre-arranged with the Client.
15. If my work is unsatisfactory, I will rectify it in my own time and at my own expense.
16. Unless agreed otherwise at the outset, payment will be made within 30 days of receipt of the invoice, according to the Late Payment of Commercial Debts (Interest) Act 1998 (amended 2002 and 2013).
18. Either the Client or I have the right to terminate a contract for services if there is a serious breach of its terms.
19. I will be entitled to receive one free copy of the work in the case of the project being a Book. This is to showcase both my work and that of the Client at events.
20. I may use the Client’s name in my promotional material, including social media. This will always be pre-arranged with the Client.
21. This agreement is subject to the laws of England and Wales, and both me and Client agree to submit to the jurisdiction of the English and Welsh courts.
Booking confirmation & fee
1. By filling in the ‘Booking form/Contract of services’, the Client agrees to secure my services, the project specifics having been previously agreed upon and set out in the document.
2. The ‘Booking form/Contract of services’ document will be required alongside a signed copy of these terms and conditions to complete the booking.
3. I ask for a non-refundable £20 booking fee to secure the mutually agreed time discussed in our initial meeting. This will be payable within 5 days of the Client submitting the signed ‘Booking form/Contract of services’ and ‘Terms and conditions of service’ forms.
1. During the process. In the unlikely event that the client cancels the work during the proofreading/editing process, I reserve the right to invoice 50% of the agreed fee to cover the time already invested working on the project.
2. Within one month prior to the start of work. In the event of cancellation within one month of the scheduled start of work on the editing process, I reserve the right to invoice 25% of the agreed fee.
3. Before one month prior to the start of work. In the event of cancellation more than one month before the scheduled start of work on the editing process, there will be a £10 cancellation fee, but no other charge will apply.
4. The booking is considered confirmed once the booking fee has been received by me.